Take five minutes to participate in this week’s “Take Action Thursday.” The Senate GOP unveiled their healthcare plan today. Call your representatives and let them know how you feel. Healthcare makes up 1/6 of the economy. But on a more personal level, it plays a major role any time one is in the hospital, one is sick, or one’s family needs medical attention. For some people, this bill really is a matter of life or death.
Call your Senators today regardless of their position:
- If they are swing Senators, then persuade them of your position
- If they have given their stance on the bill, tell them you want them to do more
- If they have not taken a stance, tell them you want them to speak up
Here are the bullet point takeaways:
– Medicaid will be cut
– Tax breaks will go to wealthy Americans
– No more individual mandate requiring you to be insured
– States determine what an “essential benefit” is (this affects anyone with pre-existing conditions)
To get an in-depth breakdown of what the bill does, you can read any of these articles:
The New York Times with a nice breakdown graph comparing this to Obamacare and to the House version
The Washington Post doing pretty much the same thing
Here’s what to do:
1.) Determine whether you support the Senate healthcare plan.
2.) Briefly articulate your reasoning.
We’ll use our go-to template. Adjust it as you see fit. You can add a header if choosing to write/email your representative.
My name is __(Name)__ from ___(Location)____. I [support/oppose] the Senate healthcare bill.
I [support/oppose] this action because _____(Reason)_______.
I am contacting you because I want to know what you are going to do to show you take this issue seriously.
However you reach out, cover these main points:
– State who you are
– Be clear about whether you support or oppose an action
– Give a brief reason for your stance.
– Ask what they will do about it
The most important thing is to be clear about whether you support or oppose it because that is easiest for congressional staff and businesses to tally.
3.) Contact your representatives. Here is a link to navigate to your Senator’s phone number. Or you can just dial 888-865-8089 to input your zip code and be directed to your representative. This number is operated by the AFL-CIO.
These links are always available under the “Engage” tab.
4.) Tell someone how it went. Tweet it, post it on Facebook, tell your family, text your friends, do whatever you prefer but let someone know you are taking action. It takes a lot of work to build the world you want. The more that people see their friends taking action, the more likely they are to come off the sidelines and contribute too.